"To finish the moment, to find the journey’s end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom....Since our office is with moments, let us husband them."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, November 25, 2007

I Can't Help But Look Up

Denmark is fairly far north. It is situation around 55 degrees North latitude. That's equivalent to the southern tip of Alaska. This means that the lighting patterns are very similar to Alaska. For example, today's sunrise was at 8:03 AM, and today's sunset will be at 3:50 PM. Pretty Early. Which means it gets very dark very early. While this can be incredibly disheartening and can manage to throw anyone's internal clock way off, I'm attempting to find some good in it. So far, the only positive thought I can manage in regards to leaving class and thinking its 10:00 PM is that it makes the end of my commute home really splendid. I don't know if its the clear, winter skies, but the stars seem to be shining much more brightly now, and once I enter my neighborhood on my bike, my speed slows way down, and I pedal with my eyes firmly affixed above. I love looking at the stars no matter where I am, and there's something relaxing and perhaps charming about them. And as long as I manage to stay upright on my bike, and not run into anything, I will continue to look forward to getting the chance to look up.

No comments: