"To finish the moment, to find the journey’s end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom....Since our office is with moments, let us husband them."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Yes, there is something rotten. In fact, so rotten that the U.S. State Department has issued a warning. First, let me give you the background, at least how I understand it. Approximately 6 months and a week ago, the Danish government kicked a large number of youths (about 17-25 years old) from a government owned house that they had been squatting in for quite a long time. The government determined that they needed the building for some purpose. This upset the youth that were living there, and they responded by protesting, with a slight violent tinge to it (Molotov cocktails), which was eventually broke up by the police with the assistance of tear gas. Well, a week ago was the 6 month anniversary of this event and again the people involved protested. This time it resulted in numerous windows broken from rocks being thrown. Now, these same people are planning in protesting again tomorrow. Only this time there will be 69 groups, starting at 69 different places all with an address of 69. The repetition of 69 is due to that number being the address of the original house. All 69 groups are then going to start marching at 3:00pm towards the town center, where they will rally together. With this group's past history of turning violent, the U.S. State Department decided to issue a warning for Americans to stay clear. My problem is that the protest is in the middle of my commute route and time, so who knows what I'll be in the thick of. I do plan on bringing my camera with me just in case, but I do plan on steering pretty clear of it, as I don't want anything crazy to happen to me. It should be interesting to say the least.

No comments: