"To finish the moment, to find the journey’s end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom....Since our office is with moments, let us husband them."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Windows, doors, and bugs, oh my!

Here is one aspect of Danish culture, and for that matter European culture, that I just don't fully understand. First, they don't believe in screens for their windows or doors. This is fine, and to each their own, but they also believe in airing things out, quite frequently as well. In my house, this means that multiple windows and doors (like the front door!) will be left wide open all day (assuming someone is home). This is fine and all, except for when night descends, because then, the house with lights on, becomes quite attractive to the bugs -- especially mosquitoes. So last night, while listening to the debacle at the Big House (I don't even want to go into that), I gained quite the collection of mosquitoes in my room. In the end, I think I managed to kill about 15, and that wasn't even all of them. The good news is I now have nicely decorated walls. Nothing says "home" like smeared bug guts!

No comments: